Friday 5 June 2020

Whenever I walk this path

Whenever I walk this path
I catch my clothes
on a protruding nail
and swear at the tear.
I know it is there
it is visible, not hidden
yet somehow
I again catch my clothes
on the same nail.

Each time it occurs
I exclaim loudly at 
another tear to mend
and promise myself to bring a hammer
and fix the nail.

Somehow, a fog of habit descends
and before I am aware
there is yet another tear.
This time, instead of shouting in anger
and frustration
I resolve to remember.
Back at the house
I immediately find my hammer
and leave it by the door.

Now
whenever I walk this path
there is no protruding nail
on which to catch my clothes.
The hammered head gleamingly smiles at me
and I smile back, grateful to it
for welcoming me
into mindfulness.

© 30 May 20

No comments:

Post a Comment