Saturday 11 June 2016

I don’t have another way of walking

Walking into the present moment
no need to carry the to do list
as a burden on my shoulders
no need to think, worry, or even remember.
As each footstep deepens
becomes more joyful
I discover
I don’t have another way of walking.

I could choose to be busy
walk in a hurry
rushing from place to place
to get things done
frantically tick items off my to do list.
I choose to slow down
mindful of each footstep
moving yet not moving.
I let go of the usual energy
associated with thinking
I have things to do.

Walking into the present moment
moving yet not moving
I discover a freshness
a lightness
the joy of just walking
I discover
I don’t have another way of walking*.

* This is a quote from Thich Nhat Hanh when asked about walking meditation.
Wherever he goes, whatever he has to do, he always walks in a mindful way.

© 6 Jun 16

No comments:

Post a Comment